Monday, August 12, 2013

12 August 2013



Hi family,

First of all I have some really big news ... and this is not April Fools day so you have to believe me haha!!!!!!!!

Like I said I have big news, I will be heading home a few weeks early.  I’m going to be getting home August 26th, so two weeks from today.  Some things came up and the transfers changed in a way that I would miss Cory and Jenna's wedding, so I chose to come home a week or two early to see the wedding!!  The parents have the flight plans and know when I’m getting back.  I wanted to surprise you all, I have known for a while, but I wanted to give you all enough time to get off work and stuff!! It’s pretty exciting.

So I’m sure all of you are wondering where I’m at and who I’m with . . .

But first I want to talk about transfer meeting, it was crazy!!  There were 50 new missionaries that came out.  As they were walking in the chapel all the old missionaries sang Called to Serve while they were walking in, the spirit was so strong!  Then after they all got in the chapel President started telling us who was with who and where they were going. 

Well I got asked to serve in a tri pan with Elder Savea from Samoa, and Elder Hatch from Sandy, Utah.  (I’m the smallest in the companionship.)  We are serving in the Silvercreek ward!  The ward where I started my mission.  So I get to finish my mission here!  When I found out I almost cried I was so excited about it. 

It has been an amazing week, I have been able to see some members that I love, some investigators I taught back in the day, and most important I have been able to see some converts!!!

We had a baptism last Saturday, her name is Briana.  She is a friend of a youth here in the ward.  It was so cool to see how many people came out to support her!  So after the actual baptism while they are changing we like to give the chance to the people there to bear their testimonies, I was the one who led and explained how it would work.  So while I was bearing my testimony on baptism and the change it makes I looked on the front row and saw Pierce (one of my converts), the spirit hit me and I saw the difference that the gospel has made in his life, he is a completely different person than when I first met him.  It was hard to finish my testimony without crying so I quickly finished up and sat down.  To my surprise Pierce stood up, he started talking about how he is so grateful for the gospel, then he started crying and thanking me for serving a mission and finding him and his brother ... I had to bury my head in my hands.  It was such a special moment and made me feel that much better for serving the Lord.  It also made me feel closer to the Savior, He must feel that way all the time.  When people come to him and accept his sacrifice. It was a very special feeling.

As the time is coming closer for me to come home I realize that the Lord really understands all of us and knows what we are going through.  As it gets closer I have a feeling of nervousness, but the more I read the scriptures and the more I go out and help others with their testimony of Christ, I feel a peace that is a hard to understand.  It’s only when I let my mind wander and think about home too much that I have a feeling of anxiety.  I love the Savior and His teachings, He is wonderful.  I don’t know where I would be without Him.  Things would be rough that is for sure!! haha.  Serving Him is and has been the best thing I have ever done in my life and I wouldn’t trade the things I have learned and felt for anything in the world!!  The gospel of Christ is real and will change us from a carnal state to a holy and sanctified person, I know it’s true!!

It was a good week!

I love you family so much and I’m so grateful for the support that you have shown to me. I LOVE YOU ALL!!!

Elder Garrett

No comments: